Thursday, January 14, 2010

Taking my life in a new direction


When I started college I had the intentions of going to dental hygiene school. So I only took the prerequisite classes needed and I only took a few general education classes. As I started BYU I still had my mind set on dental hygiene. A week ago, I changed my major!!!! That's right, no more dental hygiene for me. Don't get me wrong I still love teeth and want to become an RDA(registered dental assistant), but I'm going to major in something else. I'm planning on majoring in the School of Family Life with an emphasis in Home and Family. I know, I know, this is one of those majors that only BYU would offer, but I love it. I'm taking one SFL class right now and everyday I want to spend hours in it and learn more. Everyone knows that I ultimately want to be a mom and this major will help me become the best mom and wife I can. What am I going to do with my future degree you may ask...well...that is a good question. One I am still debating on myself. The only downside to changing my major now is I have to catch up on all my general ed classes before I can dive into the classes that I need to take for my major. I know this is the right decision for me. I can always go back in the dental field later on as an assistant or as a receptionist.


***If your going to get on me for majoring in this and going to tell me this isn't a REAL major, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT. I've heard it enough already. I know that dental hygienist make a lot of money and have great flexible schedules, I KNOW. Really, you don't have to remind me =)

4 comments:

AdrianneJayne said...

You go, girl! I've always taken SFL classes for fun! Right now I'm in SFL 100, and its great! Creating a family and nurturing our children, teaching them, helping them, loving them...that is one of the main reasons we're here! This is it-- so important! Don't ever let anyone give you a hard time about your decision. Heaven knows my kids are going to need some nurturing church leaders to make up for my meanness!

Valerie said...

You still owe me a call with splaining!

Julie Bell said...

Welcome to the field :)We can be buddies in this major together. And I'm right there with you on taking crap from people who think you're ridiculous for majoring in it. My opinion you ask?...They're just jealous because we're going to be ROCKIN moms and they aren't :)

Tam Bell said...

Hey girl. I think we heard too many mission stories last night. We didn't have enough time to talk about you!!! I majored in the U's major that is equivalent to that. I LOVED it and don't regret it for a second. I even worked in my field before I became a mom. Do what you feel is right for you and then it doesn't matter what anyone else says!!! Call if you need any help. I will pretend I know what I am talking about!!